HOW CAN I BE CHARGED WITH A THEFT CRIME?
There are many types of theft crimes:
- Residential or commercial burglary
- Petty theft or shoplifting (less than $400)
- Grand theft ($400 or more)
- Auto theft
- Identity theft
- Obtaining property by false pretenses
- Receipt of stolen property
WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES TO ME IF CONVICTED?
Sentencing for theft crimes has a wide range of punishments:
- Possible ‘Strike’ towards the 3 strikes law
- Jail or prison time
- Fines and restitution (paying back the victim)
- Crime of moral turpitude which can cost you your job or ability to find work
- Possible grounds for losing a professional license
- Probation or parole
- Mandatory counseling
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I AM BEING CHARGED?
Contact me immediately.
I have handled hundreds of these cases to positive results. I can potentially have the charge dismissed entirely. I will ensure that every opportunity is taken to reduce charges to a misdemeanor. Evidence and witnesses in the case will be investigated and challenged appropriately. The law involved is complex and highly specialized. An experienced criminal defense attorney, such as myself, will minimize any impact this will have on your life.
Do not take chances with your liberty, your life or your family. Time is of the essence.