Domestic Violence

stop abuse

What Will Happen to Me if Convicted of Domestic Violence?

Misdemeanors (typically no injury or minor injuries with no prior record):

  • Jail Time (up to 6 months in County Jail)
  • Counseling (1 year / 52-week program)
  • Community Service (40 hours) or Physical Labor (Work alternative)
  • Ordered to stay away from the victim, move out of residence (if applicable)
  • Various Fines
  • Ordered not to strike or harm partner (couples)

Felonies (severe cuts, broken bones or a history of violence):

  • Jail Time (ranges from 3 months in county jail to 3 years in Prison)
  • Counseling (52-week program)
  • 40 hours of Community Service or Physical Labor (Work alternative)
  • Various Fines
  • Ordered to stay away from the victim, move out of residence (if applicable)
  • Ordered not to strike or harm partner (couples)

What Should I Do Now That I Am Being Charged?

The law regarding domestic violence is complex and highly specialized. It is important to contact an experienced domestic violence defense lawyer immediately. The Law Office of Peter A Duarte has ample experience with defending clients against domestic violence charges. I can help you avoid the charges completely, reduce the consequences to counseling and/or probation and generally ensure that you will receive the minimum consequence necessary.

What if the Victim Wants to Drop Charges?

Criminal charges are a crime against the people. Only the Prosecutor can drop the charges. The alleged victim is merely a witness to crime.

What Do I Do About This Restraining Order?

Read the order carefully to see what conduct is prohibited. Do not contact/communicate with the Protected Person in any fashion, even if that person initiates contact/communication with you. Violation of the order could lead to arrest or criminal prosecution. Contact me online or call (707) 541-7100 immediately upon receiving notice of the order to ensure compliance and to take all steps to reduce or remove the order.


contact form banner

Contact Us

Fill out the form or call us at (707) 541-7100 to schedule your free consultation.